Lotus root curry
Lotus root (actually it is not a root, but a rhizome) curried with green peas and onions;
How did I manage to think about this? Or did I think?
Saw a package of frozen sliced lotus root in Indian grocery store and decided to make a curry of it … and then decided to use frozen green peas from the fridge to add some color.
- 1 package frozen sliced lotus root
- 1/2 package frozen green peas
- 1 med onion chopped
- 1 tomato
- 4 green chillies sliced
- 0.25 tsp cumin seeds
- 0.25 tsp mustard seeds
- 0.25 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp dhana-jeeru powder
- 0.5 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 TBP oil
- plain yogurt
- chopped cilantro
What did I do?
- Heat the oil and then add chillies, cumin seeds and mustard seeds
- Once crackling stopped, added onions
- Once onions were transparent, added rinsed (but not thawed) lotus roots and green peas
- Cooked with the pot covered
- Often stirred and checked if the roots became soft/tender
- After 5min or so, added salt and turmeric and continued with the cooking
- When roots were tender, added rest of the spices and covered the pot
- Let it sit for few minutes before garnishing and serving
- Garnished this with cilantro and yogurt and served with paratha
Inspiration: typical Indian curry
Nutritional Fact: No clue, but you can check them out for lotus root itself here ….yummy!!